Beat the heat
Temp is 40+ degree already. Dr Pallavi Gupta shares you some Ayurvedic Tips to beat the heat
* Pitta pacifying diet should be included.
* Avoid foods with Sour, spicy and salty taste, this category includes sour pickles, papads, chaat, chips, fried foods, canned foods, fermented foods like idli, dosa, dhokla, salted nuts, ketchup, bakery products etc.
* Include sweet delicacies like kheer, sweet semolina, shrikhand.Milk and milk products like milk flavored with gulkand, thandai, milk with sugar buttermilk & cardamom powder.
* Fresh unsalted butter with sugar, freshly prepared sweet buttermilk improves digestion and also controls pitta.
* Ghee is another real good pitta pacifying ingredient, it provides good nourishment and also prevents excessive dryness, burning in the body. Use ghee liberally in your diet, but avoid food fried in ghee as it becomes heavy to digest.
* Include fennel, cardamom, mint, coriander in food preparations, prefer moong dal to other dals. Have diet which is easily digestible, vegetables like bottle gourd, snake gourd, okra,ridge gourd, salads, cabbage, etc are beneficial. White onions are very good in summer, it regulates body temperature.
* Amla jam (amla murabba), candied amla, rose petal jam (gulkand), dadimpak (pomegranate syrup) are good coolants.
* Taking heavy meals in short durations without earlier meals properly digested produces toxins.
* Combination of fruit salad, milk & banana should be avoided.Using Yoghurt with Milk, Fish with Milk, ACHAR (Pickle) with Milk, Honey with Ghee (Butter) are some VIRUDHA AHARA (in competent food) if taken together, they produce a lot of toxins in our body.
* Drinking buttermilk is excellent as it is easily digestible, kindles hunger, instigates vata and kapha and cures dropsy, hemorrhoids, enlargement of abdomen, abdominal tumor, duodenal diseases, dysuria, enlargement of spleen, loss of appetite, and anaemia.
* Avoid sleeping during day; this increases Kapha dosha, and in long run leads to indigestion and obesity. If you need to have rest during day, take a short nap in sitting or reclining position.